Tuesday, November 8, 2011

[Ada_list] room in Paris available

In case anyone wants to spend time in Paris over the southern summer... Katharine's email is katharine.neil@gmail.com
Melanie
--

My room in an apartment in the suburbs of Paris is going to be free
over the December-January-February period coming up and my housemate
Marion thinks I should see if I can find someone to chip in towards my
rent for all or some of that time while I'm away. This would be a
great opportunity for anyone who wants to spend quite a bit of time in
Paris (or who needs a base in Europe for a while), and wants to live
like a local (and pay like a local) instead of a tourist.

I pay 525 euros a month + 60 or so for bills but I'd be willing to
negotiate for the financially-challenged. It's a good-sized two
bedroom apartment with a living room and a kitchen etc. But of course
the main factor is my housemate Marion who is ace - she's there only a
few days a week and she's the friendliest person on earth. She's
French but her English is great.

It's on the 5th floor of a building next to a couple of schools, a
theatre and a church so it's very quiet in the evenings and gets lots
of natural light. We're 5 mins walk from the suburban trains which
take 12 mins to get to the centre of Paris (and 5 mins to Gare du
Nord) and we're 13 mins walk from the nearest metro station. We have
high-speed unlimited internet and unlimited international calls to
landlines. There's also a PS3, an XBOX 360 and a big screen TV for
gaming in the lounge, and there's a desk and a large-ish external
monitor in my room for working.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint-Denis

The suburb we're in is Saint-Dénis and it's radically different from
most people's idea of France. To me Saint-Dénis is culturally exciting
and vibrant - but it's not everybody's cup of tea. Sometimes you get
the feeling you're in North Africa instead of France, and our market
days make most Parisian markets look quiet and tame. On the other hand
Saint-Dénis used to be the capital of France, and our basilica gives
Notre Dame a run for its money. Oh and the biggest plus? It's way
cheaper than living in Paris proper. Life here is quite a bit cheaper,
in fact, than Australia (where I will be spending the three months
while I'm away).

Anyway so anyone who's interested, please get in touch with questions etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment